Making Elderflower Cordial
Our Sunday morning nature walk was graced with hedgerows filled with frothy Elderflowers.
We picked a bag full & now have a big bowl of cordial steeping. Here is our recipe:
- 3 pints of boiling water
- 1 kilo of golden granulated sugar
- 20 – 25 elderflower heads
- 4 lemons
- 2oz of citric acid
- In a deep mixing bowl pour the boiling water onto the sugar and stir.
- Add the citric acid.
- Leave to cool, stirring every now and then to dissolve the sugar & citric acid.
- When cool add the sliced lemons and the elderflower heads.
- Leave to steep for 48 hours.
- Strain twice through sterilised muslin
- Using a jug and funnel carefully pour into hot sterilised bottles
(This recipe is adapted from one I found on the internet, but cannot remember where, please let me know if you are aware of its origins then I can give credit.)